DECATUR, Ill. – Due to the economic impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic, state Rep. Sue Scherer, D-Decatur, is highlighting the new process being used by the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES) to process the filing of unprecedented number of unemployment benefit claims.
“Right now isn’t an easy time for any of us, but especially employers and employees, and few could ever imagine the situation that we now find ourselves in,” said Scherer. “To help provide the needed assistance for Illinois residents, IDES has created a system to ensure everyone who needs to utilize state resources are being assisted properly.”
Because of the unprecedented volume and number of claims, IDES is asking individuals to adhere to the alphabetized schedules below when filing an unemployment benefit claim online or over the phone.
FOR ONLINE CLAIMS:
- Last names A-M will be asked to file their claims on Sundays, Tuesdays, or Thursdays.
- Last names N-Z will be asked to file their claims on Mondays, Wednesday, Fridays.
- Saturdays will be available for anyone to accommodate those who could not file during their allotted window.
- Online claims can be made here: www.ides.illinois.gov
FOR PHONE CLAIMS:
- Last names A-M will be asked to call on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 7:30am – 6pm.
- Last names N-Z will be asked to call on Mondays and Wednesdays between 7:30am – 6pm.
- Fridays will be available for anyone to accommodate those who could not file during their allotted window between 7:30am – 6pm.
- IDES Hotline: 1-800-244-5631
“With a wide range of claims, and many Illinoisans who are new to the process, ensuring that those who are in need are getting the correct information is vital during these times,” said Scherer. “I urge anyone who may have questions regarding their eligibility to the expanded access to unemployment benefits to contact the IDES Hotline or visit the IDES website online.”
For more information, stay up to date with Rep. Scherer’s Facebook Live Updates @StateRepSueScherer.